Sunday 19 March 2006

the show must go on

Today, supposedly, is the last day I can stay in this country. It was stamped in my passport. However, since my passport is with the Home Office, I can't seem to go anywhere.

I received a message from a friend asking me to take them around to Rome and Venice for a few days. I would love to, if I can, but as it is, I can't. Then I received a wedding invitation ( another one), and what do you know? It's in Poland and I can't go.

I dunno what's with these Poles lately. Many of them at the factory are getting hitched and since basically I was resposible for bringing them over here, I was invited to every single wedding. I wish I can go. I heard that their weddings go on for 3 days of partying and drinking non-stop. There's another wedding in Sept., which I don't think I can go (again!) because I'd be busy with events. Sigh.

It sucks!

I used to like doing events, especially when I get to go to old castles and medieval festivals. It's quite interesting the first time, but it gets bored as they're always the same. Nothing changes.

The most memorable event I had done is the Bristol Balloon Festival 3 years ago. It was the craziest and the busiest event ever, and the truth was I could not do another like it. It was the most tiring of them all. Over 4 days, they had free concert in the park and I think we had over 12 vans and trailers.

Gaz, my old boss, was on his feet all day and night long, and the runners had to keep restocking all vans every 30 minutes. And since the park was full with people sitting everywhere, there was no way they could get through easily.

On the first morning, when the boss parked all vans (some in the middle of empty park) I thought to myself, who the heck is going to buy? By mid-morning, I had my answer. We were so fucking busy and didn't even have time to go to the loo. Basically, we were opened from 9am till 11pm. Even after we were closed, a few of us (me included) had to replenish every van and that took a few more hours to finish.

On the third day, I was asked to get some more stocks from a local distributor. Considering it was on a Saturday, and no one here work on that day, I had to go through hell to find one. Gila!

By the end of the last day, Gaz, Jim and Andrew had blisters on their feet from too much walking and carrying stocks all over the place. All of us were dead tired as we had just a few hours of sleep everyday.

I wondered whether it was worth all the efforts, but when I heard the boss raked up more than 90K in that 4 days, it was definitely worth it for him, though he said he would never bid for that kind of event again. Memang gila!

As for me, I'm just quite happy to handle small events. The most I had is just 4 vans and it had me going crazy because I had no support from the office. I'm all one woman show!

No comments: