Saturday 25 March 2006

playing tourist guide

After a stressful mid week, and a bad back after my red haired cousin came to visit, having an afternoon off on Friday was much welcomed.

Off I went to the central, playing a tourist guide to a friend. The best way to see London is on foot, only then you can see everything, get lost and later find your way around. I think I was being a very bad guide. Tak pandai... hehe.

We met another friend and went to see Jimmy Choo's picture at the National Portrait Gallery, then had excellent 2 pieces of pancakes at My Old Dutch. Pancakes with chocolate sauce, what more can one ask?

After all that devilish pancakes, I know I had to burn all that calories. We sent a friend off for her to take the tube to go to her birthday dinner at the Holiday Villa.

From Holborn, I wasn't sure where we were heading to. The two of us just walked to wherever our feet took us. At the end of the road, I realised that we were at The Strand. So, I said that we should cross the bridge and just walk along the Thames.

It was a beautiful night. Just magnificent!

I wonder with all that views and solitude, how a person could give up this city. When we stopped at the bridge and looked across at the Big Ben and London Eye, I felt like I was destined to be here. Like no one could ever take this away from me (except myself). Though it was cold with the wind hitting my face, it was very peaceful and soothing to the soul. I could stand there for hours and just... enjoy.

We went walking towards the buck palace, passing St. James' Park. Unfortunately, the Queen wasn't home to invite us for a bowl of mee curry so we head down to Hyde Park instead. I spotted a few chaps skating and I suddenly remembered that it was Friday Night Skate. Usually, on a friday night, hundreds of Londoners go ballistic with skating. I thought we could sit around and watch them but I was disappointed when one of them told us that it was cancelled due to the wet weather.

Finally we decided to cut across Hyde Park and walk to Mawar for our teh tariks. It was quite a long cut, I tell ya. Berpeluh sakan. Got there in less than 30 minutes, but it was packed with Msians. It could be either because it was a friday nite or they just got their wages. Ahakss.

So, no teh tarik for us and we ended up at Deep Pan Pizza instead. So bloody tired after all that walk, but it was a damn good one. I had to find out how far we had walked, so I googled journey planner. I can't believe it was almost 10 kms. It was like walking from Alor Setar to home. Weeehoooo... I got a new record for walking!

No comments: