Monday 23 January 2006

the calvin in us

Hobbes: How are you doing on your new year's resolutions?

Calvin: I didn't make any. See, in order to improve oneself, one must have some idea of what's 'good'. That implies certain values.

But as we all know, values are relative. Every system of belief is equally valid and we need to tolerate diversity. Virtue isn't 'better' than vice. It's just different.

Hobbes: I don't know if I can tolerate that much tolerance.

Calvin: I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

-----

Calvin: Some people complain all the time! They complain about the least little thing.

If something bugs them, they never let go of it! They just go on and on, long after anyone else is interested! It's just complain, complain, complain! People who gripe all the time really drive me nuts!

You'd think they'd change the subject after a while, but they never do. They just keep griping until you start to wonder, "what's wrong with this idiot?" But they go on complaining and repeating what they've already said.

Hobbes: Maybe they're not very self-aware (rolls his eyes)

Calvin: Boy, that's another thing that gets on my nerves!

-----

Calvin: I wonder why people are never content with what they have.

Hobbes: Are you kidding? Your fingernails are a joke, you've got no fangs, you can't see at night, your pink hides are ridiculous, your reflexes are nil, and you don't even have tails! Of course people aren't content!

Calvin: Forget I said anything.

Hobbes: Now if tigers weren't content, that would be something to wonder about.

-----

Calvin: Want to buy my latest invention?

Hobbes: What is it?

Calvin: It's a writer's block! You put it on top of your desk and then you can't write there anymore!

Hobbes: (rolls his eyes)

Calvin: I must be years ahead of my time.

No comments: