Saturday 16 September 2006

of Poles, wedding and vodka

Ahhhhhh... I'm finally on holiday.


Krakow

Dah dua hari I'm in Poland.

I came here not knowing anything about Krakow because I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't meet my expectation. That is how I was when I went to Barcelona, and Barca did amaze me with its beautiful architectures.

A few years back, Marc told me that Krakow is similar to Prague but luckily I didn't remember him saying that until he asked me after I left the city. To me, Krakow is so much better. The Poles are absolutely the friendliest lot I ever met.

When we arrived in the city, we were trying to find a parking space for the car when a couple of workmen, out of the blue, came to us and told us, in sign language, that we need to find a guy in vest and pay for the fee. They went out of their way and that made us feel welcome.

In the old days, Krakow was their capital city and was a very prominence education, business and cultural centre before it was moved to Warsaw. After the Nazi German occupation, Warsaw was completely destroyed and had to be rebuild from stratch. However, Krakow escaped complete destruction and managed to maintain its old look thus preserving the local arts and architectures.



Although the city is not modern and maybe about 10 years behind than most of the developing countries, it has its own charms. The serenity of Krakow just blew my head off. I just can't describe the feeling.



Updates 19/09
The next day, The Mentor and I can't really decide where to go because there are a few places worth visiting since we have just another day before we leave to go to Torun, we decided to forgo our plan to drive to Zakopane and the Tatra Mountains. Instead we drove to the salt mines in Wieliczka and then to the largest Nazi concentration camp in Oswiecim, commonly known by its German name Auschwitz. I didn't even know that Auschwitz is very close to Krakow and that shows I didn't do my homework before going on holiday :)



The tour at the mines was really good and we were taken further than 130 feet underground. However, the guide at Auschwitz wasn't that impressive as she didn't speak up and kept repeating whatever was written on the pictures on the walls. Halfway through, we sneak out and left the group to wander on our own.



The Wedding

The next day, we left the city really early in the morning at 8am because we were told that it takes about 6 hours to get to Torun. Since the wedding is at 4 pm, we thought we would be there at 2 just in time to check in at the hotel and get change. The road condition is probably worst than Malaysia but with the EU money that Poland is getting, they will definitely improve in the next few years.

Along the way, we saw quite a lot of people selling wild mushrooms and homegrown vegetables on the side of the road. One common thing between Malaysians and Poles is that they drive and tailgate the front cars very closely and when they overtake I felt my blood rushes to my head. Dang scarry!

When we got to the hotel, it was already 10 to 3 and Marc was already waiting for us in the lobby. Quickly, I had shower and changed into my dress and was ready in 20 minutes. By the time we got to the church, the bride has just arrived and going into the waiting room.

This was my first Roman Catholic wedding, and it was quite interesting and overwhelming to be able to experience it. It's obviously different from the English wedding or other Christian weddings because of the Polish norms and culture. The bride and groom's parents were delighted that we were there and we got a very special treatment and attention from them.

Throughout the one-hour ceremony, I was lucky that Marc was there to translate everything that was said by the priest and the couples. I even had tears in my eyes, soppy me!



While exchanging the vows, you can see that the groom can only see her and no one else mattered. He looked so happy and smiling all the way. I have to say that both of them looked absolutely stunning and handsome. After they came out from the church, everyone was waiting to greet them and I had to carry the heaviest and probably the biggest present I ever given to anyone. It actually filled up half of my luggage!



Before we leave, everyone threw lotsa coins on the floor and the couple had to pick every single one of them, with the help of their nephews. It's in their culture and it signifies that they have to work hard at getting their dreams and every bit of money or wealth they have, they can't waste it.


The Reception

Almost all guests then proceeded to the reception at Rubbens Hotel in the outskirt of Torun. My jaws dropped when we were told that the party would go on until 4 am with lotsa food, dancing and, of course, vodka. There were 1 Brit from the office, his wife, The Mentor, me, Marc and the bride's neighbours at our table.

As soon as the food arrived, the groom's father came to our table and put 2 bottles of vodka. I dreaded the evening for I know that I would probably get stoned. All night long, we were made very welcomed with the family coming by to sit and talk to us. After the happy couples had their dance, some of the men kept asking The Mentor and I to dance.



There I was, thinking bloody hell! I know how to move around when I went clubbing but I never did any proper ballroom dancing and I have two left feet. It was mind blowing and as the night goes by, I just let my hair down and go with the flow even though my feet were hurting. Past midnight, I stopped counting the vodka shots and was going barefooted. Steve's wife took me out for fresh air and made me to drink plenty of water. Steve was even worst than I was and slightly after 2 am, she took him to the room.

When it was time for the bride to throw her veil and the groom to throw his tie to the singles, Marc and I rushed forward but unfortunately we were not lucky. I should have fight my way and grab the veil. Heh!



And true to their word, the Poles can hold their drinks really well because they work it out with plenty of food and dancing in between the drinking session. So now their secret is out!

By the time we got to the hotel, it was already pass 4 am. With the dancing and all, it's no wonder that I went to straight to sleep as soon as I hit the bed.


The Kwiatkowski

The next day, we were invited to another party held by the couple. Yes folks! There was another party at the same hotel. This time it was a bit casual and more relaxing than the night before. It was a time to get acquainted and learn about each other. However, as we had another invitation for dinner at Marc's , we went to the party, stayed just less than an hour and left for a little town north of Torun.

Whenever Marc called home, he would let me talk to his mum, and because of that she grew fond of me and I her. She and his father was very much thrilled that we were coming that they went to an extra mile to prepare Polish cuisine.



He told me that his family live in a small town of Grudziadz in a flat dated back to the communist era, all greyish and looking like a box. However, since coming out of that era and since joining the EU, their government is doing a lot to improve. It is not such a small town after all. Although it does look a bit greyish and rundown, but the view of Vistula River from his flat is fantastic. With that view, I wonder why he left anyway.

During our visit, the hospitality showed by them is out of this world. If you ever thought of going to Poland (or any other Eastern European countries), you should go now when everything is very cheap and unspoil. The Mentor and I had a really big lunch (trust me it was really good food) in the city centre of Torun right in the middle of the square with stunning views and we paid only £10 for the whole lot.



Torun is the birth place of a famous astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus and listed as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites and has many monuments from the Middle Ages and many Gothic buildings. The old city of Krakow has a rich architecture mostly Renaissance and also listed as World Heritage Site.

It was a very good break, and definitely one that I will remember forever. However, I have to be true and honest to myself. For some reason, I had a feeling that it is not a country that I will visit again. Saying that, never say never!

No comments: