Tuesday 7 February 2006

Of being treacherous and trustworthy

Being a real friend is a tremendous responsibility. One has to be honest, loyal, sincere, reliable, pleasant, open, responsive and dependable. There is not much point if one keeps backstabbing people whom they called friends.

Today, I learn that someone, or rather two people whom I think of as friends have been using me all along. They took me for a ride and I was an idiot for believing that they are the good, kind-hearted people who care about their friends.

I used to talk to her about my dreams, fears and future. She seemed very understanding and it looked like we were on the same wavelength. She offered help, support and sympathy when I needed them.

She had no qualms in letting me into her head, talking about her life. I honestly thought she was very kind. I remember saying that it’s quite unbelievable because I just got to know her (them) recently but we understand each other perfectly. There were times when I listen to their problems and offered advice. Sometimes I did hold my tongue and keep my opinion to myself but I didn’t have a reason not to trust or even like them.

But you know what? If you think it’s unbelievable, it’s probably is.

They were just pretending. I should be really furious with them when I found out about the things they did, only that I didn’t have the strength. They did help me when I needed help the most and I am grateful for that. I am entitled to be angry at them, yet I can’t seem to get it out from my chest.

Since I’ve been back, I’ve been discovering little things here and there. Things they don’t want me to know.

I realized that I am an easy person to con. I would fall for your stories, and I go soft-hearted because I don’t have the heart to be malicious.

That’s how they conned Marc and I. They say one thing to one person and another thing to the other person. They twisted their words around and got away all the time.

Last month, I found out that Maury badmouthed Marc and Agata, saying that they were not gratified enough with Luca for helping them during that moving fiasco. I had a feeling she was lying but I didn’t want to believe my gut.

Even though I always complain about Marc and Agata being stingy, but I know they’re not stingy with words. I knew they were always grateful for the little helps they get. When I learn the real deal, everyone was surprised.

You see, when one keeps lying, one is digging a hole for oneself.

Today, I discover another thing. When I got all my things after coming back, I was missing my bike. It was locked at the old place and only I have the key. However, the previous landlord has changed the lock on the front door so I can’t get my bike. Apparently, he is holding it back because Luca and Maury owe him some money.

This had nothing to do with me. I just wanted my bike back. When he rang me this afternoon, I was a bit hostile towards him for a few reasons. One, he kicked us out of the house without notice. Two, he didn’t answer his phone when I called. Three, he’s holding my bike to get to Luca.

Anyway, after several frustrating (I’m annoyed, ok) phone calls, I got my bike back and I also found out that there’s more to the story. Luca and Maury have been cheating us and virtually, they were staying, with us, at the flat for free. We have been paying for almost everything! The fucking bastards!

The landlord let Luca stayed there because Luca is his good friend’s nephew and only asked him to pay £720 a month for the flat. Between Marc and me, we chipped in almost that much for rent when we were there!

Two-timing SOB!

I trusted them but they have been lying all along. They were hiding something and that was why they were nice to me. There’s always a catch.

Moral of the story? People do things for a reason. They have motives and when they are nice, they want something from us. Maybe they want a business contract, to borrow your car or to cheat your money. Be wary of them. Be wary of me. For all you know, I may want the pleasure of your company!

I am not a good, perfect human being. I'm complex, short-fused and all flaws, but I remind myself, 'E, if you are going to be a friend, be a good friend!'

No comments: