Sunday 2 April 2006

of super duper and food

She has been in the limelight for quite some time. Fighting for her own cause, defending her beloved. I guess behind a fallen man, stood a woman.

I have never been interested in politics, unlike my parents who were pro gomen. Even my sister, at one point, was a ketua wanita before she became a rebel. No sire, not me. I know how to fight and I know how to work hard, but I dunno how to kiss arse. So, there goes my political career down the drain.

When one man came to town for an annual lecture, I figured I'd just go to hear what he has to say. Who knows whether he actually changed? The hard years he spent in the prison was actually showing on his face. Old age is catching up quite fast. He looks tired, and lack sparks. While he was on stage, I, on the other hand, started to stare blankly into the space. And just like me, some people began daydreaming and ogling one cute guy (one reason to stay put) :)

The only thing that pulled me back to reality was the news that his wife is my super super duper senior at SNC. Oh wow! I didn't know that. Where have I been all this time when she started her political career?

I made a promise there and then, one way or the other, I will introduce myself or get someone to introduce me as her junior. Hey, no harms what. I am no one's crony. Once that was done and out of the way, it was time for feasting.
Give me just about anything and I would clean up the plates. So, we all headed down to the ever faithful old dutch for pancakes again. I especially recommend the creamy spinach & cheese, banana with choc sauce & ice cream, and err... all lah! abis citer.

---

It's like having fresh pair of eyes and adding new adventures to a boring routine. Imagine after all these years of not having a melayu speaking friend in London, I was suddenly being bombarded with a few. Not entirely bad though. It feels like home a little.

I admit that I have been avoiding any kind of interaction because, if you really want to know, melayus here are sombong. Ok, maybe not all and they are prolly not sombong, it's just that they won't tegur you or they act as if they are not interested to know you. The ones I met the first year I was here and in Manchester confirmed my 'accusation' and strengthen my principle to avoid these people. They are so much different from the friendly malaysians in the States.

This last few weeks, however, I speak melayu everyday and makan at mawar twice a week. Ahakss... old age is catching up on me too! But one fact remains true, you won't see me mingling with snobs or smile to that rude waitress. Get a life, kiddo!

Oh! I suddenly remember that my roommate said I am not a kampong girl. Aiyaa... I seriously can't remember what we were talking about but I would like to stress that I am still one. Betul, tak tipu lah.

I don't think that just because I live here, all that will change. And the fact that I started to feel a deep love for London doesn't change that either. On the contrary, the longing for everything malaysian is getting bigger than ever.

No comments: