Thursday 12 October 2006

of cooking and stars

Malam ni dengan sukacitanya I went cooking at friends' place by the river in Deptford. We have been planning to do the makan session for ages, but we never got the chance.

Everybody seems to be busy. In London, if you want to meet friends, you have to ask if they were free on such and such date. They'll check their diaries and get back to you whether it's ok or no go. You have to book a slot in their diaries. That's how it is. None like good ol' malaysian friends. You call them say 'weyyy, jom teh tarik?' and off you go.

It has been, say 6 or 7 months since I last cooked a proper meal. Man! That long? I mean I do eat proper meal ie rice and dishes, but all that were mostly tapaued from Mawar or Nahar.

I still hadn't decided what to cook though. It was for a party of 4 and we go way back when we all first started our job in the UK together. We are all at ease with each other, no pretence whatsoever. We had the same humble beginning and we used to live together at some point.

And all of them love my cooking. Heh! Though I know that Agy cannot stand hot and spicy food, but knowing her she won't be able to resist any of them. She would just leave out the gravy.

So, Kfiatek and I met at the Blackwells on Charing Cross, browsing for books before heading to China Town. I set my eyes on Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and The Time Traveller's Wife. Just can't wait to get started.

Anyway, we were browsing at one supermarket when I finally decided I would make meehoon goreng with lotsa taugeh, fish balls, fish cakes, veggies and some campak-campak chicken dish. Imagine me trying to whip something simple after hanging up my senduk for months. Not a pretty sight, but I guess it's just like riding a bike. It came straight back just like that.

Having Kfiatek as my slave to chop all the veggies makes it easier. In the end, I enjoyed it very much and I'm sure they did too.

Thank goodness I didn't drive to their place or else I would not be able to drive back. I was so full, and I don't think I'd be having any sahur this morning. It's quite warm even though it was raining earlier and considering that we are already in Oct.

As I was walking back from the Bond Street station, I looked up and saw a few stars. I know it's already morning in Malaysia, but if you looked up at the sky tonight, we might be seeing the same stars.

No comments: