Monday 20 February 2017

of trauma and determination

When I was discharged from the hospital, I was on wheelchair because my right side was so weak I couldn't stand. And my beautiful long hair was a mess. I decided to cut it because who's gonna take care of it when I can't move my hand. I love my hair but then I was a vegetable.

The first few days at home was so traumatized. Everything I do I have to ask for help. I'm the kind of person who hate to ask for help unless I cannot do it myself. I hated myself and the situation! I cried buckets.

Then my brother told me a story about somebody he knew. This person also had a stroke but she was determined she wanted to get well. She exercised and did a lot of physiotherapy. Now, she is fully recovered.

The story gave me a new hope that I can get better. It inspires me to get up and do something. And my nephew encouraged me that I could try to walk 10 steps a day. I asked my sister to buy a cane and little by little I started walking with it. First, it was only in the house, but the few steps that I took were tiring. I was exhausted, but I kept going and pushed myself. I needed to do better than 10 steps!

I am determined and committed to get well, fast. I know I could do better.

3 comments:

soren said...

are you back in malaysia? glad that you have family to support you, and yes you will get better. an uncle of mine had stroke a year after he retired, affected the left side of his body. he went through rigorous physio too and thankfully he's fully recovered now. sending prayers that you will recover, too.

Ewok said...

Yes, I am back in Malaysia for some times now. It's a hard life for a gay woman here. There's nowhere to meet people! When I said people, I mean other gay women.. LOL. But that's not a priority right now.

soren said...

hey if you are in KL there are quite a number of gay women over the age of 40...and they are nice people if you want to be friends with. let me know if you want some company..