Monday 2 July 2007

of gay and gesture


"Even though we've come a long way, gays and lesbians are still fired from their jobs, beaten in the streets and the brunt of cruel jokes. Some people think an abomination, but we think we're just fine. Gay Pride is our day to say we're here, we're proud of who we are. We're celebrating ourselves, no matter what the rest of you think" -Katie Belge-

I need sleep.

It's funny how I used to say I could relax during the weekend now that I just work on weekdays. I was kidding. It was more tiring than working. Having fun is exhausting. But I am not complaining, honest.

Saturday saw me at the Pride parade. I went later than I planned to so I missed quite a bit, but it was very encouraging to see so many people out there bracing the rain and all. I was drenched but do I care?

Even an ice cream van was in the parade. How cool was that?

London is a very gay friendly city. Everywhere on the streets of Soho they had parties, DJs, rally and cabaret. Soho Square turned into British Airways Square for the day with lots music and stuffs. It has been 35 years since the first pride, and they do come a long way to fight for respect and equality.

Later that night, after my friends left, I didn't feel like going home just yet so I hang around Old Compton Street, watched people and smoked the last few cigarettes before smoke-free England begins.

There, I met Scott and Chris from Milton Keynes, having a drink outside a pub. They were really funny especially Scott, and we learned a few things about each other. At one point Scott grabbed hold of a stack of the Pride magazines left at the dump. He gave us 5 copies each to try and give it away to passersby as quickly as we could.

It was in the middle of the night and drizzling so people dodged us left and right. It became a mission who could finish their copies first. It was hilarious because people thought we were drunk and crazy. We only wanted to give the mags away so we were pretty harmless, really.

Chris just stood there whereas Scott and I were running around giving it away. In the end, it was a tie between Scott and I since we got rid of them at about the same time. Chris was still holding all of his. It was almost midnight when I left and when I got home I just went to sleep straight away.


On Sunday I woke up feeling a lot sober but I just stayed in bed trying to read and watch some telly. I think I didn't remember what I watched anyway.

Later that afternoon, I went to Stratford because the Poles threw me a dinner party. I met TCG BF for the first time since The Candle Girl got together with him 2 weeks ago. She said he was my birthday present and I could use him for 1 hour, any way I want. LOL.

Dinner was simple but delicious. I know they hardly cook at home but I was touched by the gesture. They don't really have to do it and it was nice to know that some friends will go to a distance for you. When they sent me to the bus stop, Marc started singing 'The Jolly Good Fella' and everyone else joined in. We were walking hands on shoulders and when we had to cross the street, we put on a show like an Irish riverdance to the traffics. It was fantastic!

When I got home it was 2am. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

No comments: