Monday 6 December 2004

Melayu losers? He can't be..

Last March when I was back home, my nephew, who is 14, mentioned about his schoolteachers being a prick. Well, that is actually my word, not his.

You see, he goes to Maktab Mahmud. In Kedah, it is quite a difficult school to get in because they only choose the bright ones and the boys were interviewed for their Arabic and Quran knowledge. The school is considered a prestigious academic institution that balances the dunia and akhirat. Or so I guess.

It seems like lately the teachers are ignoring Afiq in classes because he always put his hand up to answer questions. He is not a Know-It-All boy but because he is encouraged to be proactive in school by his mother and me, he became a bit confident. We always told him that it doesn’t matter whether his answer is right or wrong, he has to speak up. He did follow our advice, and because he is a bright boy he mostly got the correct answers.

My sister and I were horrified by his stories that his Math, Science and English teachers are now closing one eye and pretending not to see his raised arm. I understand completely the case where there is always someone in the class who has the answer to everything and annoys other pupils. But now that I am older, I would actually appreciate the situation because indirectly he or she is sharing the knowledge.

Obviously, the teachers think that Afiq is irritating and showing off. It looks like they are against him. As a result, he is now a little bit discouraged and reluctant to participate, as he sees no point in it. I

n this time, where everything around us evolves so fast, we have to keep up to the changes or else be left behind. Yet, the Malaysian education system is still far behind compared to the fast paced Malaysian technology and industry.

I am tired of listening to the Cabinet Ministers who keep reminding all to master the English language. I am tired of reading reports that local undergraduates should master languages including English to excel in education as well as to ensure a brighter future.

What is the whole point of these reminders when a kampung boy like Afiq (and I’m sure there are lot more boys and girls like him) found the courage to speak up and was shot down faster the bazooka being fired? They die without even trying. And people are complaining that the youngsters can’t speak good English or lack self-confidence? Duh!

The local undergrads are worse. At this level, they just didn’t want to try anymore and always finding excuses for lack of ability to speak English. Malulah. In kampung, people don’t speak English. Takut salah. Tak pandai. Takut orang kata showing off.

Nothing anyone could do to change this attitude until they themselves have the awareness and want to change. In the meantime, they’re just a bunch of losers. I do not want Afiq or any of my anak buah to end up like the rest of Melayu losers, so I’m going to keep pushing him. My sister, on the other hand, used a very direct approach. She filed a complaint with the school about his teachers. Bravo Sis. His teachers can eat shit!

No comments: